There's Something in My Pocket {Freebie}

This weekend I scooped up There's a Wocket in my Pocket from Target.  Now my darlings love the book as much as I do!  I created a fun response to the book last night.  It's a freebie file!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/127108622/Wocket


Lesson...
 
I began the lesson discussing rhyming words.  There's a great brainpopjr video on rhyming for building background.  In the above freebie, I have images of a plane, bag, and a web.  I glued the picture cards on chart paper.  The kids called out various words real or nonsense that rhymed.  Students quickly identified that changing the beginning sound created the funny rhyme.
 
After we charted for the three picture cards, I read There's a Wocket in My Pocket.  We identified each of the words and the rhyming non-sense word used to name the creature. 

For a fun response, I had the kids choose a classroom object.  My students were asked to illustrate the object.  In order to name their creature, they needed to come up with a fun rhyming non-sense name by replacing the beginning sound with another sound.  My kinders were giggling throughout share chair.








14 comments:

Elisabeth said...

This is adorable!! :)

Halle said...

I love your variation on this project with the various steps. Too cute! Thanks for the freebie :)

Halle
Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

First Grade Buddies said...

Super cute! We also love There's a Wocket in My Pocket! Thanks for sharing the freebie!

:) Tamra and Sarah
firstgradebuddies2.blogspot.com

Sarah Hankinson said...

So cute!

Sarah
Learning is for Superstars
FB page

Special Teacher for Special Kids said...

MABEL!!!! so funny! and the illustration is to die for.

So nice to see that Kohls has Dr. S. items! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com
:o) V.
Special Teacher for Special Kids

Christina said...

This is very cute. When I was student teaching in 2nd grade last year I did something similar. I took all their individual pages and made a class Wocket in my Pocket book. They loved it.

ABC123CLASSROOMS said...

I just love your stuff, so very cute I hope to get my blog like this one day. I admire your site and work.

Sunflower Inspirations said...

Cute Idea! Thanks for sharing!


Sunflower Inspirations

Annie Moffatt said...

Oh my goodness....
ADORABLE....ADORABLE....ADORABLE!
The Moffatt Girls

vicky1970 said...

So fun and cute I bet your kiddos loved it.
Vicky
http://pinterest.com/pin/74872412527298061/

vicky1970 said...

opps that was from a giveaway - sorry!
Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

~DeAnne~ said...

OH Cheryl!! How cute is this?! Love it!! thanks for sharing!

ღDeAnne
First Grade and Fabulous

Kathleen said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this Cheryl!!!!

podmember said...

I've decided to extend my Read Across America activities to Monday so I can do this Wocket writing! Thank you!