A Powerful Tool...

This year has been magnificent.  I've watched the kids grow up and develop into young problem solvers.  Their independence and willingness to tackle new ideas is truly inspiring.

The best thing leaned came from this little device.
I knew the power of having a Flip Camera in the palms of my hands to capture the precious moments and share with families and friends but it wasn't until I handed the camera to my darlings that I received a glimpse of my classroom or teaching through the students eyes.  

Allowing students to take the Flip and film anything they wanted became a tool for me to see their interest and what they felt was meaningful.  Some students simply read work on the wall, others explained their favorite place in class, one took the time to read our weekly focus wall.  

Have you ever wondered what kids are thinking about when you are teaching?  Hand them a video camera and allow the kids to film during your mini lesson.  I watched as one student zoomed in on words around the room as they appeared in the read aloud.  Another student mumbled the answers each time I prompted comprehension questions but this child won't raise their hand to participate AT ALL.  

The Flip was truly a powerful tool in my teaching success this year.  I am sad to report that Cisco has closed down their Flip division because of the power of the SMARTPHONE.  Here is an article from the NY Times that explains Cisco's decision.  This has only prompted me to create a DonorsChoose project this summer for another device with the same capabilities. 



4 comments:

Kim Balek said...

This is awesome! I've had my kids take video before but it seemed to be more distracting than helpful. Did you spend a lot of time teaching them how to record what they're learning? I did some, but obviously not enough because my kids were mostly being silly with it.

Mrs. Saoud said...

I did take the time to teach them how to hold the device. I showed them a few videos I created.

I spun around and shook the camera while filming and the kids explained that it hurt their eyes.

I put my finger over the lens and the kids explained they couldn't see what I was filming.

I spoke too soft and then too fast and the kids explained I was a bad film director. LOL

By giving my students a visual of poor filming, they knew what wouldn't work.

I did allow for time at the beginning to be goofy so they can see what it looked like and know how to be young professionals.

As part of our code of conduct, we have signature sheets allowing teachers to film and post pictures/videos. The kids know if they didn't try for good film quality, their videos weren't going to be posted.

I also explained that the videos can become a way for our class to receive new things. With having the kids film their perspective, I received one stimulus fund and one grant.

Cheryl

Lorena said...

Thank you for sharing how you use the camera with them. I just got a flipcam funded on donorschoose. I would love to see how the students do with them next year.

Ms.M said...

These are precious. Thank you for sharing.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan