Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch {Book Companion}

I've been working on this file off and on for a hot minute but finally found the motivation to complete it yesterday!  I'm so grateful for the lovely feedback on the unit! 





I fell in love with Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch with the Storyline Online Reading by Hector Elizondo. 



Captivate students with holiday themed fun while meeting learning standards! This 73 page packet is packed full of excitement.

What's included...


Build background knowledge of Valentine's Day with a KWL or record facts with new learning.


A heavy dose of story vocabulary will assist language learners with words such as prune, supper, supper, packages, fluttered, wondered, valentine, mysterious, harmonica, delivered, fetched, streamers.




Provided are several options for recording vocabulary words. Option one includes a vocabulary book with clipart images. Option two includes blank vocabulary response pages. Option three includes interactive pages.






Reread the story throughout the week using my prepared interactive skills pages. Included are essential questions, flip flaps for note taking, and a student page for informal assessment. Each of the above options are provided for transitions, days of the week and communities.


You'll find engaging comprehension response sheets with a story map, compare/contrast, plot, cause/effect and connections.




Encourage students to write friendly letters. Included for lesson is an instructional poster and matching checklist, parts of a letter poem and Valentine's Day card with key words.





Spruce up your bulletin board with a Lovebug Craft or send home for mom and dad. 



Last, you'll find a developing fluency reader. Mr. Hatch, Mr. Hatch What Do You See? 


I'm eager to use this unit and hope you find the activities engaging yet meaningful.  Click the image below to link to the unit.





4 comments:

Elementary Stories said...

This is my favorite book to use for Valentine's Day! I love all the great vocabulary and this resource looks great! I haven't seen the online story reading so I am definitely going to check that out! ~ Lisa

Ashley Sanderson said...

We use this book EVERY Valentine's Day and LOVE listening to it being read by Hector Elizondo. Wonderful job Cheryl!

Anonymous said...

I love this book!! I love reading and sharing it with my class. I love talking about kindness, but now I can see that I have been missing so many opportunities to cover some of my second grade standards. Your pages are going to be so helpful!

Terri Izatt

Anonymous said...

One of the best books ever for teaching kindness. I also have used it for years!! Nice choice to do a book companion with! Happy Valentine's day!! Ppoland@hacschool.org