Five for Friday

Penguins, Seuss, and Tulips, Oh.My!

This week began our class study of penguins.  I combined a few units to make writing workshop magic!  I began building background and file folder resources with Erica Bohrer's Penguin Packet.  While reading, we created vocabulary books from Deanna Jump's Penguin Math and Literacy Fun. Sticky notes for recording facts has been a highlight everyday this week thanks to Sarah Cooley's Stick Note Research Project Pack!  

We also dove into Tacky rereading Tacky the Penguin (read during the holidays for our tacky sweater celebration), Three Cheers for Tacky, and Tackylocks.  Using Deanna Jump's Penguin Math and Literacy Fun, there was lots of reading and responding awesomeness! 

More Penguin Stuff to Come Next Week!

I shared this file during the holidays but would like to feature it again.  
My kids will craft a response to their favorite of the three stories.  

Earlier this week I shared an activity with Wocket in my Pocket which thrilled the students the entire week.  I had zero trouble convincing my students to respond to various stories we read.  This activity went along with Differendoofer Day.  The kids compared Differendoofer School and Flubbertown school.  This gave them an idea of the type of teacher to hire.  The bottom left says "Mr. Precipitation teachers you how to make rain." Bottom right says, "Mr. Vehicle will teach you to drive a car."  

I have some pretty amazing friends.  When you least expect it, we are reaching out and lifting each other up.  I received these beautiful tulips a few weeks ago and they finally bloom this week!  I get a kick out of my meandering bloom so strong and resilient, it reminds me of our bond! 

 Link up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs!

8 comments:

Tania said...

I love Tacky! He is one of my faves.
tania
My Second Sense

Jenny said...

Beautiful tulips!

Enjoy your weekend!

Jenny
Suntans and Lesson Plans

The Brown-Bag Teacher said...

We used Erica's unit in January and it was a hit! I love your Seuss Venn diagrams. They turned out great. :)

Catherine
The Brown-Bag Teacher

Jane said...

So nice about the tulips! We have 5 feet of snow here - I am jealous.

Cute Seuss ideas!

Jane
Learning in the Little Apple

Gladys said...

Bloggie friends are the best! Enjoy your beautiful tulips. :)

Erica Bohrer said...

Awe thanks for sharing! <3

Julie DiBenedetto said...

Your tulips remind me that my roses will be blooming very soon! Always the sign of spring and sunny days! YAY! I enjoyed reading about your week. This was my first time linking up for the 5 for Friday and this is a great way to meet new teachers!
Have a great weekend!
Julie
Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

Karen Stamp said...

Isn't Tacky fun!? My kiddos also love Tacky and the Winter Games!
Karen :o)
Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten