Rockin with Doubles

Its the Doubles Rap, Baby!  We are diving into doubles and near doubles in class.  Nearly a year ago, Heidi Samuelson from Swamp Frog First Graders posted a video tutorial on creating an iPod case out of an envelope for your flashcards. You can link here to see her post.

I gave each of my kids the doubles rap to place in the "screen" of the iPod.

Once the doubles rap was glued on the sealed envelope, the kids colored a border.  This allowed for a visual of where they should cut the the top off.

Technology is powerful.  The kids love their iPod case and are eager to pull out their math facts.  



I'm including a copy of my flashcards and the Double Rap.  Enjoy!

Doubles Rap Saoud

Update 10/17/2013 {Crazy, exactly two years later}...  Now that I've looped up with my darlings, I have a new group to create rockin' doubles iPods with!  

Today we listen to Harry Kindergarten's doubles video.  You must subscribe.  All the videos are AMAZING!  ... and probably not a big surprise for most!  


This year, I gave each child a menu button...

10 comments:

karevan said...

LOVE YOUUUUUUUUU
We just learned doubles as a strategy.
The kids keep looking at me with twisted faces.
This will definitely help untwist them!!!!
Thank you for sharing <3

Amy said...

This is adorable! Thank you so much!

Kinderpond said...

Awesome!

Jennifer

Caroline Brantley said...

Thanks! Great idea.

K. Mo said...

I saw this yesterday and had to try it immediately. The kids LOVED it!

❤ Karen
Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade

Heidi Samuelson said...

Love the idea of putting the rap on the envelope!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Sallie Neal said...

This is from the Saxon Math series. We use Saxon math and that's how we teach the doubles. Great idea, and thanks for sharing!

I have a doubles math activity available for free on my blog:

A Teacher Always Grows

It's part of my "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown mini-unit!

Rachelle said...

Loved this!!!!!!!!!!
-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

amber said...

i think my kiddos are going to love this!

Wendy Gilbert said...

Cannot wait to do this! I've been doing the Harry Kindergarten song (which they love), but I'm really loving the iPod! :)